Adenomyosis

Adenomyosis


Definition

Adenomyosis is the condition in which the cells that form lining on the inside of the uterus and also grows in the muscle wall of the uterus. This results in the enlarged uterus and heavy or longer bleeding as well as pain during intercourse or menstrual cycle. This condition is similar to endometriosis, in which tissue grows outside of the uterus. So adenomyosis is referred as sister disease of endometriosis. The exact cause of this disease is unknown. But however, it is associated with the high level of estrogen. The symptoms of adenomyosis are pain and heavy bleeding.

Adenomyosis

History

  • 1893–1896- Thomas Stephen Cullen, an American gynecologist who made his first observations in adenomyosis
  • 1898- Iwanoff illustrated was first described the adenomyoma
  • The first systematic description of what is today known as adenomyosis was the work of Thomas Stephen Cullen who, at the turn of the 19th century, fully researched the ‘mucosal invasion’ already observed by a number of investigators in several parts of the lower abdominal cavity.
  • In 1925, 2 years before Sampson created the term ‘endometriosis’, Frankl created a name for the mucosal invasion of the myometrium and clearly described its anatomical picture; he called it ‘adenomyosis uteri’ and explained that ‘I have chosen the name of adenomyosis,
  • The current definition of adenomyosis was finally provided in 1972 by Bird who stated: ‘Adenomyosis may be defined as the benign invasion of endometrium into the myometrium, producing a diffusely enlarged uterus

Epidemiology

Adenomyosis typically affects women of reproductive age. In general, affected women are multiparous, and the condition is seen with higher frequency in a woman with a history of uterine surgical procedures (e.g. Caesarian section, dilatation, and curettage). It has a reported incidence that ranges widely from 5 to 70%, depending on the histological definition or the imaging modality used.

Types

There are three types of adenomyosis based on the location of the disease in the uterus include:
Diffuse adenomyosis: This type of adenomyosis occurs throughout the uterus wall. That is deep into the uterus muscle walls and thus it causes severe pain and bleeding during menstrual cycle.
Adenomyoma: It is similar to focal adenomyosis, but it is more extensive and thus it may result in uterine fibroma, uterine mass, and tumor.
Focal adenomyosis:  Focal adenomyosis is located in particular site of the uterus which causes mild pain and symptoms.

Risk factors

Some of the risk factors are as follows:
Age: Beginning of the age 40 or 50, that is before menopause
Having child: Pregnancy may also facilitate the development of adenomyosis due to the high ratio of estrogen receptors in the uterus muscles.
Prior uterine surgery: Adenomyosis was most often diagnosed only when a woman had a hysterectomy.
Depression and antidepressant use: Increased risk of depression and higher antidepressant use also cause adenomyosis.
Tamoxifen treatment: Adenomyosis is relatively rare in postmenopausal women but a higher incidence of adenomyosis has been reported in women treated with tamoxifen for breast cancer.

Causes

The main causes of the adenomyosis were unknown. But there is a number of theories about the causes of adenomyosis include:
  • The invasive growth of abnormal tissues towards into the muscle layer that forms the uterine walls
  • Inflammation of the uterine muscle lining after the childbirth that causes cells to grow into the weakened muscle layer
  • Before birth, the tissue lining was deposited into the uterine muscle during early days of fetal life
After menopause, it disappears due to the lack of estrogen. Only during the reproductive stage of women may face adenomyosis due to the high-level production of estrogen.

Symptoms

  • Painful menstruation that may involve new cramps (dysmenorrhea).
  • Heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
  • A uterus that is 2-3 times its normal size.
  • Pain during intercourse.
  • Clogged blood passed during menses.
  • The uterus may get enlarged.

Complications

  • Heavy bleeding during mensuration.
  • Chronic anemia.
  • Anemia cause fatigue and severe health problems
  • Adenomyosis disrupts the lifestyle of a patient.
  • A painful period can cause strain in the relationship and allow for loss in daily work.

Diagnosis and Testing

Pelvic exam
A physician will check for the pelvic size and examine the vulva, uterus, and cervix for the enlargement of the uterus.
Imaging
Ultrasonography: In ultrasonography, adenomyosis in the endometrium can be identified. Adenomyosis is the area of decreased heterogeneity of the endometrium.
MRI: Variations in the thickness of the inner myometrium or junctional zone can be measured by MRI imaging.
Endometrial biopsy
A small tissue sample from the uterine is taken for the histologic evaluation, which helps to identify the proper results.

Treatment and medications

Hysterectomy: If a woman is beyond the menopausal stage and suffering from severe menstrual pain, a doctor will advise doing the hysterectomy. Removing the ovaries does not control adenomyosis but the removal of the entire uterus helps to cease the problems associated with adenomyosis. It is the most effective treatment for adenomyosis.
Hormone medications: Combination of progesterone-estrogen birth control pills and patches or vaginal rings containing these hormones can be used to reduce the heavy bleeding and pain occurs during periods.
Anti-inflammatory drugs: Anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) can be used to ease the pain during severe menstrual bleeding.

Prevention of adenomyosis

  • Perform physical exercise regularly.
  • Quit smoking
  • Restrict caffeine intake to two cups per day.
  • Take calcium carbonate supplements of 1000 mg per day.
  • Consume vitamin B6 supplements of around 50-150 mg per day. It can help to control estrogens by removing them from your liver. This reduces pain.
  • Take flax seeds, flax oil, and olive oil frequently in your diet, as they are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. They have high anti-inflammatory properties. They can reduce the menstrual pain and muscle contractions.
  • Avoid fatty foods like potato chips, French fries, doughnut, and peanut butter.
  • Try to reduce meat products, eggs from your diet day by day.
  • Use the minimal amount of sugar and salt.

Comments

  1. I'd like to share my success story with natural remedy: I had advanced adenomyosis was causing me to have the most excruciating pains every month and very heavy bleeding and of course a chronic anemia. The first GYN I saw said the only option was to remove my uterus. At only 24 my left ovary and Fallopian tube was removed due to endometriosis. After 4 years I had adenomyosis and right fallopian tube blocked. Always wanted to conceive but never been pregnant because adenomyosis was grown that I never had dimensions. My period came and was very heavy with clots - lasted 5 days and stop for 2 - came back again medium heavy for another week. I started taking Tranexamic acid for 5 days, Nature's way DIM-plus, four (4) capsules once a day. I also took the Pure Life Essence for Women, also 4 capsules once a day. I mix apple cider vinegar and water and take it twice a day and didn't work, it minimizes flow but comes back again, my Doctor gave me progesterone 200 mg and I kept bleeding...it's took me 3 weeks of bleeding; I looked very pale and felt weak - missed a couple of days at work. The Doctors I see all recommends hysterectomy. You know what stopped the bleeding?? Reading online came across an article about Doctor Ronnie's herbal medication for adenomyosis... I took it twice a day, and bleeding stopped. This is what works for me. I hope it helps someone else. I am 6 months pregnant now expecting my baby soon. You can get more information from him at ronniemd70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mam....I am having same problems, same to same, I was diagnosed last month with "Adenomyosis" I am continuously bleeding since 4th August 2020, pain is excruciating, my doc put me on Endoheal tablets for four months, I am unmarried and not very sexually active, I feel suicidal pls help me.

      Delete
  2. I have suffered from adenomyosis with severe cramps during and after my period. It was very painful and heavy bleeding and severe lower back pain my pain was unbearable to a point of being not able to move and a stabbing like pain on the left of my ovaries. Pain goes away when a clot comes out. But it took a while for the clot to come out. After several meetings with my gynaecologist which she suggested "laparoscopies" but I refused I know what laparoscopies is and how heart aching it can be then she stated that Allopathic treatment will help in pain management but it will not cure the disease. I started treatment with a drug named "endoheal 2 mg". This gave me pain relief but reduced my periods almost to no periods with numerous side effects - spotting and fluctuation in my dates. I was not mentally satisfied to bear the side effects so I came across ''Ayurvedic doctor" who started my treatment with herbs. Though I continued above drug 'endoheal 2 mg'" parallel for nine months for easy pain management. From then I continued taking the treatment. It reduced the size of my lesion but did not reduce it further after few months. And there was no relief in pain during menstruation but my Dr. Advised me to continue it during 3 months without any gap. I had noticed a quick ageing of my skin in the last 2 years. I am a smoker but for some reason I feel my quick ageing has to do with something else because I have been smoking for a long time and it's only recently that I noticed a fast decline of my skin elasticity. After then pain radiates very badly in my left leg, lower left back and left side of my vagina. The pain normally start anytime during 3, 5,6 days, but at time I had to take a painkiller for this also as it irritates whole day. Then pain disappears after fews day. My digestion was slow but Dr. Ronnie's supplements has improved it impossible situations is becoming possible miracles gradually.

    I was lucky to read in the internet about a lady who was cured from Adenomyosis through Herbal Medication. I contacted Ronnie through an email address I got from a testimony shared on the internet. Without further delay I made an order, I switched over to it. I had great breakthrough, that in the first month, I was already testifying of the effective of the Herbal medication. After 3months course of taken the medicine, all symptoms were gone. It has been 1 year and four months since I became free from adenomyosis. Anyone who is not in my position would not understand what I went through, the heart break, the pain and how frustrated I was for 6 odd years. Believe me, it was hell. I am so happy; I never believed I will be this happy again in life. My story is quite lengthy, it might help you too. You may contact Dr. Ronnie to know more via his email on. ronniemd70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided to write this testimony with the sincere hope that it will enable you and your loved ones to get on the right path of living a meaningful life with the right balance of independence and freedom without surgery, I believe sharing my thoughts and experience about Ronnie's product will be helpful and Enlighting for many of you that you are not alone I have suffered from Adenomyosis for 8 years and had a hysterectomy, having Adenomyosis was not easy for me, My digestion was slow I was hospitalized several times our healthcare system/surgery failed me and other medication, after the surgery I took acv. I've taken multivitamins, herbal teas, shepards purse, Fertilpills and Folic acid, but the fertilpills bloat up my stomach and not in a way that it has gas and other things I don't remember the names. My story changed after a family friend directed me to Dr Ronnie in late 2016 but just after a month of using this herbal medicine, the rapid improvement in my health got me marvelled.. I thank Dr Ronnie for his support all through these years. If you are a victim, contact him; ( ronniemd70@gmail.com).

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people have said Adenomyosis is not a life-threatening condition, but it can cause severe discomfort. I have decided to write this testimony with the sincere hope that it will enable you and your loved ones to get on the right path of living a meaningful life with the right balance of independence and freedom without surgery, I believe sharing my thoughts and experience about Ronnie's product will be helpful and Enlighten many of you that you are not alone I have suffered from Adenomyosis for 8 years, having Adenomyosis was not easy for me, My digestion was slow I was hospitalized several times our healthcare system/surgery failed me and other medication, after the surgery I took acv. I've taken multivitamins, herbal teas, shepards purse, Fertilpills and Folic acid, but the fertilpills bloat up my stomach and not in a way that it has gas and other things I don't remember the names. My story changed after a family friend directed me to Dr Ronnie in late 2016 but just after a month of using this herbal medicine, the rapid improvement in my health got me marveled. I thank Dr Ronnie for his support all through these years. If you are a women suffering with adenomyosis and experiencing heavy periods or severe uterine cramping and want to avoid surgery and keep your uterus, contact him; ( ronniemd70@gmail.com).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Thanks for sharing this information I hope you will update the latest article and blog. To know more click this symptoms of adenomyosis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you For sharing This Post and impressive site. Little Angel IVF is one of the most excellent centers in Asia Pacific, with Techniques, genuine Treatment, Research & Training. This is the leading IVF Centre with best IVF doctor in Gurgaon and modern world-class scientific technologies.
    IVF Cost in India

    ReplyDelete
  7. This a very nice and informative post please keep updating with such post. We California Fibroid Center serving Adenomyosis Treatment for our clients to recover all their problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AdenomyosisTreatment (ad-uh-no-my-O-sis) occurs when the tissue that normally lines the uterus (endometrial tissue) grows into the muscular wall of the uterus. The displaced tissue continues to act normally — thickening, breaking down and bleeding — during each menstrual cycle.18-Jun-2022

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adenomyosis and endometriosis are two of the most common gynecological disorders that affect women.1,2 Both conditions are associated with significant morbidity and a poor quality of life, particularly if their diagnosis occurs late.2,3 In fact, both adenomyosis and endometriosis are known to result in infertility in many patients. These and other significant similarities between the two conditions are often a source of great confusion for people. In this article, we discuss the differences between adenomyosis and endometriosis in the context of biology, symptoms, and risk factors.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TYPES OF KISS

ASCITES

HOW TO USE CONDOM